Thursday, September 23, 2010

Reality sets in.

So, I promised a yummy dessert recipe this time around… not happening. Instead I feel compelled to share something special – our one year anniversary. I looked at the calendar the other week and noticed that September 24 was arriving faster than I realized. It is this Friday that marks the anniversary of purchasing Bliss Organic Ice Cream. Oh, the excitement, nervousness, anticipation, fear and joy that went into the decision to venture out on my own. Back then, I had so many ideas and a strong vision of where I wanted the company to go. I guess I still have those ideas and the vision – but so much has changed. Reality has set in. I have learned a tremendous amount about running a food business – regulatory issues, distribution modeling, forecasting, working with buyers, ingredient management, etc. I am humbled by the details. Humbled and buried. Buried so deep that sometimes I’m not sure where to go next – but I hear that this is normal for a start-up company. Someone said to me recently, ”you don’t own a small business – it owns you”. Yes, this is true. I am owned by Bliss Organic – a company that challenges me, pisses me off, makes me proud, and most importantly, keeps me on my toes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,

    I landed on your profile on LinkedIn, went to your website and now wish I had several flavors of your ice cream on hand to dive into to right now!

    Going for you for taking the leap....I know a lot about start up and/or small businesses and would be happy to be a resource for you.

    It is a very self centered offer as I want to make sure Bliss is around for a long time!

    Warm regards,
    Betsy Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coconut chocolate chip ice cream is like heaven for me.
    Its so light and fluffy, just a bite brings me out of any lull.

    As said above, I would die without it- Thank you for keeping it going.

    ReplyDelete